Senin, 11 Mei 2009

Shuttle Launch

Shuttle Launch'High-Risk' Shuttle Launch to Be Streamed Live.

NASA's latest shuttle launch is set for today at 2:01 PM EDT. The self-assessed "high risk" mission is an attempt to repair the Hubble telescope one final time.

According to the weather reports for Cape Canaveral, there's a 90 percent chance of favorable launch conditions.

The 11-day mission will include five spacewalks, at up to 7hours each. "This will be the most challenging servicing mission that's been faced by our astronauts in terms of the total amount of work," said mission manager, Preston Burch. If the mission succeeds, it will add up to five years onto the life of the 19-year-old telescope.

NASA is running a live feed of the launch all day with commentary over on its official site.

Original Source :

Jumat, 08 Mei 2009

Statue Of Liberty

Statue Of LibertyStatue of Liberty's crown to reopen July 4.

The National Park Service is planning a lottery for those wishing to climb the narrow, circular staircase of 168 steps inside the statue to its crown, which has been closed since the Sept. 11 attacks.

Reporting from Washington -- The lofty crown of the Statue of Liberty, closed to the public since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, will reopen July 4, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar announced this morning.

Salazar announced the reopening, with the National Park Service planning a lottery for those wishing to climb the narrow, circular staircase of 168 steps inside the statue to the crown, in an appearance inside the crown this morning on NBC News' "Today" show.

Admission will be "egalitarian," the secretary said of a planned lottery for visitors wishing to make the staircase climb.

The reopening of the crown atop the statue, a gift to the United States from France in 1885 and a symbol of freedom standing on its island in New York City's harbor since then, will take place on Independence Day -- the anniversary of July 4, 1776, the date inscribed on the tablet that Lady Liberty holds in her hand.

Salazar, acknowledging that standing in the crown this morning gave him "goose bumps," said Park Service employees are being trained on ways to usher selected visitors up and down the single narrow stairway inside the statue.

He acknowledged that this would entail "risks" but also said that everyone allowed inside would have undergone "double screening" for security purposes at a national monument whose pinnacle has been closed to the public since terrorists attacked the World Trade Center towers in New York with hijacked airliners.

Although the crown has remained closed, the base, pedestal and lower observation deck have since been reopened.

NBC's Matt Lauer also asked Salazar, a former Colorado senator whom President Obama appointed Interior secretary, whether he wanted to be considered for the nomination to the Supreme Court that Obama now was weighing.

Salazar said he liked his job. Asked by Lauer if "that's a no," the secretary said, "That's a no."

Original Source : http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-statue-of-liberty9-2009may09,0,3151604.story

Mars Candy

Mars CandyNeil Patrick Harris makes life sweeter with Real Chocolate Relief Act.

Enough of the free KFC grilled chicken. How about some free Mars chocolate?

"How I Met Your Mother" star Neil Patrick Harris hands out free Mars candy bars in New York as part of Mars' Real Chocolate Relief Act, which aims to improve the world's mood through candy.

Mars has announced that the company will give away a quarter-of-a- million full-size packages of real chocolate on Free Chocolate Fridays.

Americans can claim one of 250,000 coupons each Friday beginning on May 8 at 9 a.m. by visiting RealChocolate.com.

Coupons, which will be mailed to consumers, will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis and are redeemable for any full-size Mars real chocolate product. The coupons will be limited to one per person, per week.

We give them this: NPH is way less creepy than Johnny Depp in "The Chocolate Factory."

And thank heavens there are no scary Oompa Loompas to frighten the children.

We're waiting for the free hybrid cars and free homes.

More free dish:

Chicken Riots overstated, says KFC. Gimme that drumstick!

Original Source : http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2009/05/neil-patrick-harris-makes-life-sweeter-with-real-chocolate-relief-act-.html

Top Baby Names 2009

Top Baby Names 2009
Top baby names 2009: "Emily" finally dethroned.

"Emma" (and "Isabella," for that matter) has ended "Emily's" 12-year reign as the top name for baby girls. Jacob kept its spot for the 10th year in the row for boy names.

Some interesting tidbits from the Social Security Administration's baby names report for 2009:

--"Barack" didn't make the top 1,000, but it did move up a record 10,126 spots, to No. 2,409.

--"Elvis" is still in the building, but it fell from 673 to 713.

--"Miley," you know, like as in teen queen Miley Cyrus, moved up 152 spots to No. 127. (Her stage name, "Hannah" fell from No. 9 to No. 17.)

--This year’s winner for the biggest jump is Khloe, which is undoubtedly related to the popularity of Khloe Kardashian from the show Keeping Up with the Kardashians. Khloe with a K increased 469 spots to number 196 in 2008, up from 665 in 2007 and 960 in 2006 (the name's first year on the list).

-- Biblical names dominate the top choices for boys while popular culture appears to have influenced some of the girls' names.

BOY NAMES

Top five: Jacob, Michael, Ethan, Joshua and Daniel.
New to the top 10: Alexander
Gone from the top 10: Andrew
New names debuting in the top 1,000: Aaden (343), Chace (655), Marley (764) Kash (779) and Kymani (836). Beckham debuted at 893, perhaps a nod to the British soccer star, David Beckham, who now plays for the Los Angeles Galaxy.

GIRL NAMES:

Top five: Emma, Isabella, Emily, Madison and Ava
New to the top 10: Chloe
Gone from the top 10: Isla (623), Mareli (718), Milagros (731), Dayami (750) and Nylah (821).

But don't be fooled by these "top" baby names 2009 from the Social Security Administration. The list doesn't take into account the same name spelled differently.

So you can still expect to run into a bunch of Braidens and Braydens and Katelyns and Kaitinns when your kid reaches the preschool years.

Original Source : http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_momsatwork/2009/05/top-baby-names-2009-emily-finally-dethroned.html

Kamis, 07 Mei 2009

Players Championship

Players ChampionshipIn Body, But Not In Spirit.

Sounding like a man who'd rather be somewhere else, Sergio Garcia arrives at the scene of his greatest success struggling on and off the course.

He doesn't look happy. He doesn't seem happy. He doesn't talk happy.

In fact, to catch Sergio Garcia smiling at the Players Championship, you can try one of two things. He is the defending champion, so there are various pictures of him on signage throughout the Stadium course--hoisting the trophy last May, kissing his putter, giggling after thanking Tiger Woods for being absent.

Or, if you wish to elicit some cheer from Garcia, you can leave the subject of golf -- the sooner the better -- and go directly to soccer. "You mean, futbol," he says. By about 2 p.m. Tuesday, Garcia evacuated the premises, as if sick to the stomach, to watch Arsenal and Manchester United in the European Champions league semi-final. (Manchester United won 3-1, as you probably know.) On Wednesday, Garcia planned a similar drill to view Barcelona vs. Chelsea.

"I plan my practice here around those games," he said. "No problem." The problem is, come Thursday, Garcia has to play golf. He still loves golf, but golf has not been loving him in return. "Yeah," he went on, "I love golf, but it has been resisting me more than usual lately. I'm not having much fun, but everybody goes through that. It's a stage. I'm going through a stage."

Garcia's exemplary performance toward the end of last year lifted him to No. 2 in the world rankings, behind You Know Who. But Garcia has not done much on the PGA or European Tour in 2009, and his mood is not a lot better than his scores. In March, his relationship ended with Morgan Norman, daughter of Greg. Sergio's friends say he was shaken, and still is. "I don't like to talk about my personal life in the media," he says. "That's part of what's going on. My parents are concerned, my close people around me. I haven't been myself, but things will change. I am, by nature, happy."

Garcia isn't kissing his putter anymore. That's already changed. He's using a putter that is about 4-6 inches longer in the handle, yet still gripping it normally. The portion extending above his hands, toward the belly he does not have, helps him load the club for a truer strike. "Maybe I can find something and get some confidence," says Garcia, who missed the cut at the Quail Hollow Championship, his first event since another unsuccessful attempt to make friends with Augusta National.

After his T-38 at the Masters, Garcia aired some of this frustrations, then took grief, then apologized. He is not the lone ranger in this trap. If an athlete dispenses only banalities, he's dusted for being dull. But if he offers candid opinions, he's also scolded, even if dozens of other players are thinking likewise, just not talking.

"What can I say?" Garcia goes on. "I am who I am, and there are times when I make comments I should keep to myself. I'm still learning." Garcia has been through the good, bad and ugly before. Nobody tiptoed into Garcia's bedroom and stole his talent while he slept. More importantly, nobody stole his television. "It's almost that time," Garcia says, glancing at his wristwatch. More soccer. "Futbol, futbol," he says. And he can't wait. "My team, Real Madrid, got knocked out. But Barcelona. Unbelievable how they play. If I wasn't playing golf, that's what I'd like to be playing."

Original Source : http://www.golfdigest.com/golfworld/columnists/2009/05/golf_players_garcia_verdi_0506

Deanna Hummel

Deanna Hummel'Jon & Kate Plus 8' star Kate Gosselin 'very hesitant to believe' Jon Gosselin is cheating.

Kate Gosselin says she's "very hesitant to believe" her husband is a cheater.

"We're dealing with it just like everybody else does," the unusually subdued "Jon & Kate Plus 8" star said on the "Today" show Thursday.

Kate's husband Jon has vehemently denied reports that he's having an affair with a 23-year-old, but failed to appear on "Today" beside his wife, as scheduled.

"We're not perfect," Kate later said. "I don't have all the answers... We're doing our best and learning how we go."

Allegations that Jon is cheating on Kate have reached a fevered pitch among his alleged other woman and her brother.

Third grade teacher Deanna Hummel has been having an affair with Jon for months, her brother and roommate Jason tells Us Weekly.

"She's a nice girl, not a homewrecker," he says. "[Jon] is a bad liar. This isn't healthy for her. But she is refusing to help herself, so here I am trying to help her myself. I hope this clears the air."

Us also published photos of Gosselin hanging out with a bikini-clad Deanna - and leaving a house IDed as her's early in the morning after reportedly spending the night.

But Deanna's says her sib is a big, fat liar.

"My brother is making this all up," she tells People magazine. "He has no credibility ... I can't even stomach the lies he's saying about me."

Deanna says her brother is "very shady ... he has no job. He has a criminal background. He was charged for drug distribution. He's on probation right now."

Jason later admitted he has a rocky past, but told Us, "I have no reason to lie."

Gosselin tells "Extra" the allegations are "false and just plain hurful," adding, "I did not cheat on Kate."

The reality star publicly apologized to his family last week for his "poor judgement" after late-night photographs captured the TV dad out alone - sans wedding band - with Hummel.

After spotting photographers, Gosselin was overheard yelling, "Hey, babe! Babe! Give me my jacket!" before climbing into his car, Us reported. He then urged Deanna to "get in the car!" before speeding off without turning on his vehicle's headlights.

"Like most people I have male and female friends and I'm not going to end my friendships just because I'm on TV," Gosselin said in a statement.

Deanna previously told People that the twosome are "just friends."

"It's absurd that anyone would think otherwise," she added.

But her brother begs to differ.

According to Jason, married father of eight Gosselin is over at his house in Reading, Pa., fairly often to see Deanna.

The couple "pretty much stay locked away like two teenagers," he said. "It was weird. He's a grown man."

Adds Jason, "A lot of the time, it was pretty, um, gross listening to her, you know, um — how do I say this? The walls are thin. Let’s just say that. I mean, no one wants to hear his sister having sex, let alone with a married dude who's, like, almost twice her age and who has eight kids and a maybe-crazy wife."

This isn't the first time Gosselin has been accused of cheating on his wife, Kate.

The TV dad came under fire in February for allegedly flirting with - and attempting to kiss - several students at Huntington, Pa.'s Juniata College. The reluctant TV star reportedly told one undergrad that he was getting divorced.

Kate recently confessed to Entertainment Weekly that the photo of Jon and Deanna caused friction for the couple.

"Jon's poor judgment and irresponsible behavior has also without a doubt caused some added tension and stress between the two of us."

Original Source : http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/05/07/2009-05-07_jon__kate_plus_8_star_jon_gosselin_is_cheating_with_deanna_hummel_brother_says.html

Manny Ramirez

Manny RamirezDodgers Outfielder Manny Ramirez Suspended for Drug Use.

Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Manny Ramirez has been suspended for 50 games after violating a drug policy, Major League Baseball announced Thursday.

In a statement released through the Major League Baseball Players Association, Ramirez, 36, said he did not take steroids but waived his right to challenge the suspension, which involves Section 8.G.2 of Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

The suspension will begin immediately.

"Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue," Ramirez's statement read. "He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was okay to give me. Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now.

"I do want to say one other thing; I've taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons," Ramirez's statement continued.

Click here for photos.

MLB commissioner's office did not immediately disclose specifics of the violation by Ramirez, who will lose roughly one-third of his $25 million salary this year, or $7.7 million.

Ramirez, a 12-time All-Star who is widely considered to be a sure-fire Hall of Fame selection, also apologized to the Dodgers' owners and fans, as well as manager Joe Torre.

"LA is a special place to me and I know everybody is disappointed," Ramirez's statement continued. "So am I. I'm sorry about this whole situation."

Click here to see players suspended for MLB drug policy violations since 2005.

The hulking right-handed outfielder with 533 career home runs will not be eligible to return to the team until July 3, according to The Associated Press. He signed a two-year, $45 million contract with the Dodgers in March.

The suspension follows Alex Rodriguez's acknowledgement in February that he used steroids from 2001 to 2003.

Calls to Ramirez's agent, Scott Boras, were not immediately returned Thursday.

Major League Baseball's drug policy requires a 50-game suspension for a player's first positive drug test, a 100-game suspension for a second and a lifetime ban for a third. The suspensions are without pay.

Ramirez is the third player suspended this year under MLB's drug testing program.

Original Source : http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519343,00.html